Sister, Morning Is a Time For Miracles

SISTER, MORNING IS A TIME FOR MIRACLES

A core of conversations we never had
lie in the distance     between
your wants and mine
a piece of each navel cord buried
beneath a wall that separates
our sameness     a talisman of birth
hidden at the root
of your mother's spirit     my mother's rage.

Reaching for you with my sad words
between sleeping and waking
what is asked for is often destroyed
by the very words that seek it
like dew in an early morning
dissolving the tongue of salt
as well as its thirst
and I call you secret names
of praise and fire
that sound like your birthright
but are not the names of friend
while you hide from me under 100 excuses
lying like tombstones
between your house and mine.

I could accept any blame I understood.
Picking over the fresh loneliness
of this too-early morning
I find relics of my history
fossilized into a prison
where I learn how to make love forever
better than how to make friends
where you are encased like a half-stoned peach
in the rigid art of your healing
and in case you have ever tried to reach me
and I could not hear you
these words are in place
of the dead air
still between us.

A memorial to the conversations
we won't be having
to revelations we buried still-born
in the refuse of fear and silence
to your remembered eyes
which don't meet mine anymore.

Nothing
is more cruel
than waiting     and hoping
an answer will come.

I never intended to let you slip through my fingers
to ever purchase your interest again
like the desire of a whore
yawning behind her upturned hand
pretending a sigh of pleasure
I have had that, too, already.

When I opened my eyes I thought
we would move
into freer and more open country
where the sun could illuminate our different desires
and fresh air do us honor for who we are
but I have awakened at 4 A.M.
with a ribald joke to tell you
and found I had lost the name of the street
where you hid under an assumed name
and I knew I would have to bleed again
in order to find you

Yet just once     in the possibilities
of this too-early morning
I wanted you
to talk     not as a healer
but as a lonely woman
talking to a friend.

Audre Lorde, 1979

*
HERMANA, LA MAÑANA ES TIEMPO DE MILAGROS

Un hueso de conversaciones que nunca tuvimos
yace en la distancia     entre
tus carencias y las mías
un pedazo de cada cordón umbilical enterrado
bajo un muro que separa
nuestra semejanza     un talismán de nacimiento
escondido en la raíz
del espíritu de tu madre     la rabia de mi madre.

Cuando recurro a ti con mis tristes palabras
entre dormida y despierta
lo que se pide es a menudo destruido
por las propias palabras que lo buscan
como el rocío de una mañana
que disuelve la lengua de sal
así como su sed
y te pongo nombres secretos
de elogio y de fuego
que suenan a tu derecho inherente
pero no son los nombres de amiga
mientras te escondes de mí bajo 100 excusas
como tumbas
entre tu casa y la mía.

Podría aceptar cualquier culpa que entendiera.
Rebuscando entre la fresca soledad
de esta tempranísima mañana
encuentro reliquias de mi historia
fosilizadas en una celda
donde aprendo a hacer el amor para siempre
mejor que a hacer amigos
donde te enfrascas cual níspero de medio hueso
en la estricta arte de tu curación
y por si hubieras intentado llamarme
y no te oyera
estas palabras son en vez
del aire muerto
entre nosotras.

Un homenaje a las conversaciones
que nunca tendremos
a revelaciones que enterramos mortinatas
en los desechos de miedo y silencio
a tus ojos recordados
que no se cruzan ya con los míos.

Nada
es más cruel
que esperar     y tener la esperanza
de que llegue una respuesta.

Nunca fue mi intención dejar que te me escaparas
comprar tu interés de nuevo
como el deseo de una puta
que bosteza tras el revés de su mano
fingiendo un gemido de placer
yo también he pasado por eso.

Cuando abrí los ojos pensé
que nos mudaríamos
a un país más libre y más abierto
donde el sol iluminara nuestros diversos deseos
y el aire nos honrara por quienes somos
pero me desperté a las 4 de la madrugada
con un chiste verde que contarte
y descubrí que había perdido el nombre de la calle
donde te escondías bajo un nombre falso
y supe que tendría que sangrar otra vez
para encontrarte.

Aun así, por una vez     en las posibilidades
de esta tempranísima mañana
quise
que hablaras     no como curandera
sino como mujer solitaria
que le habla a una amiga.


traducción de Torres Ruiz