October

OCTOBER

Spirits of the abnormally born
live on in water
of the heroically dead
in the entrails of snake.

Now I span my days like a wild bridge
swaying in place     caught
between poems like a vise
I am finishing my piece of this bargain
and how shall I return?

Seboulisa     mother of power
keeper of birds     fat and beautiful
give me the strength of your eyes
to remember what I have learned
help me attend with passion
these tasks at my hand for doing.

Carry my heart to some shore
my feet will not shatter
do not let me pass away
before I have a name
for this tree
under which I am lying

Do not let me die     still
needing to be stranger.

Audre Lorde, 1980

*
OCTUBRE

Las almas de los nacidos anormales
perviven en el agua
las de los muertos heroicamente
en las entrañas de serpiente.

Ahora cruzo mis días cual puente silvestre
oscilando en el sitio     atrapada
entre poemas cual torno
estoy rematando mi pieza de este trato
mas ¿cómo regresaré?

Sebulisa     madre de poder
guardiana de aves     gorda y hermosa
dame la fuerza de tus ojos
para recordar lo que he aprendido
ayúdame a atender con pasión
las tareas que tengo entre manos.

Lleva mi corazón a una playa
mis pies no se partirán
no me dejes perecer antes
de saber el nombre
de este árbol
bajo el que yazco

No me dejes morir     sin ser
todo lo extraña que necesito.


traducción de Torres Ruiz