New Year's Day

NEW YEAR'S DAY

This day feels put together hastily
like a gift for grateful beggars
being better than no time at all
but bells are ringing
in cities I have never visited
and my name is printed over doorways
I have never seen.

Extracting a bone
or whatever is tender or fruitful
from a core of indifferent days
I have forgotten the touch of sun
cutting through uncommitted mornings
The night is full of messages
I cannot read
I am too busy forgetting
air like fur on my tongue
these tears
do not come from sadness
but from grit in the sometimes wind.

Rain falls like tar on my skin
my son picks up a chicken heart at dinner
asking     "Does this thing love?"

Ghostly unmalicious fingers
pluck over my dreaming
hiding whatever it is of sorrow
that would profit me
I am deliberate
and afraid
of nothing.

Audre Lorde, 1970

*
DÍA DE AÑO NUEVO

Este día está como puesto a la ligera
como un regalo para mendigos agradecidos
es mejor que nada de tiempo
pero las campanas suenan
en ciudades que nunca he visitado
y mi nombre está impreso en umbrales
que nunca he visto.

Extrayendo un hueso
o cualquier cosa tierna o fructífera
del meollo de días indiferentes
he olvidado el tacto del sol
que atraviesa mañanas sin compromiso
La noche está llena de mensajes
que no puedo leer
estoy demasiado ocupada olvidando
el aire cual visón en mi lengua
estas lágrimas
no son de tristeza
sino de las motas del a veces viento.

La lluvia cae como alquitrán sobre mi piel
mi hijo pincha un corazón de pollo en la cena
y pregunta     "¿Esto ama?"

Fantasmales dedos sin malicia
rebuscan en mis sueños
guardando cualquier cosa de dolor
que pueda beneficiarme
soy prudente
y no tengo miedo
a nada.

traducción de Torres Ruiz