The Brown Menace

THE BROWN MENACE
OR POEM TO THE SURVIVAL OF ROACHES

Call me
your deepest urge
toward survival
call me
and my brothers and sisters
in the sharp smell of refusal
call me
roach and presumptuous
nightmare upon your white pillow
your itch to destroy
the indestructible
part of yourself.

Call me
your own determination
in the most detestable shape
you can become
friend of your own image
within me     I am you
your most deeply cherished nightmare
scuttling through painted cracks
you create to admit
me into your kitchens
your fearful midnights
your values at noon
into your most secret places
hating
you learn to honor me
by imitation     as I alter
through your greedy preoccupations
through your kitchen wars
through your poisonous refusal
to survive.

To survive.
To survive.

Audre Lorde, 1973

*
LA AMENAZA MORENA
O POEMA A LA SUPERVIVENCIA DE LAS CUCARACHAS

Llámame
tu ansia más honda
de supervivencia
llámame
y a mis hermanos y hermanas
en el fuerte olor del rechazo
llámame
cucaracha y presuntuosa
pesadilla en tu blanca almohada
tu gusanillo de destruir
la parte indestructible
de ti mismo.

Llámame
tu propia determinación
en la forma más detestable
puedes hacerte
amigo de tu propia imagen
dentro de mí     yo soy tú
tu pesadilla más profundamente abrigada
escabulléndose por grietas pintadas
que creas para dejarme
entrar en tu cocina
tus terribles noches
tus valores a mediodía
en tus lugares más secretos
odiando
aprendes a honrarme
por imitación     mientras yo me adapto
a tus ávidas preocupaciones
a tus guerras de cocina
a tu nocivo rechazo
para sobrevivir.

Para sobrevivir.
Para sobrevivir.

traducción de Torres Ruiz